3 WEEKS COST OF KENYA, UGANDA, TANZANIA

3_weeks_in_east_africa_kenya uganda tanzania cost itinerary

East Africa is indeed a destination that surprises you. There are many ways you can build an trip plan depending on how many days you have, what is your budget, and what type of activities you want to do. I wanted to visit this region, and had about 3 weeks of time. My budget was to stay under $3500. I wanted to do the quintessential African safari hence I planned Kenya, also felt like doing a bit off beaten adventure, hence the trip to Uganda and then I was really curious to check the hyped up exotic Zanzibar, famous spot in the east african coast.

So here’s the summary of how I built my trip

What My Trip Was Like

• Day 1-2: Stay and explore Nairobi
  • Day 3-5: Masai Mara Safari
  • Day 5-6: Back To Nairobi & visiting local friends
  • Day 7: Travel To Kampala, Uganda (left at 12 midnight in overnight bus)
  • Day 7: Exploring Kampala city (Uganda’s capital)
  • Day 8: Taking a 1 hour bus to Jinja Town for Bungee Jumping
  • Day 9: Travel 6 hours south to Lake Bunyonyi (Kibale Town)
  • Day 9-10: Exploring a hidden jem (29 islands of Lake Bunyonyi)
  • Day 10: Travel back to Kampala, have one last dinner with hostel friends
  • Day 11: Take Uber from Kampala to Entebbe & catch flight to Dares Tanzania
  • Day 11-13: Explore Dares-salam
  • Day 13: Take Ferry to Zanzibar
  • Day 13-18: Slow the pace and enjoy the paradise in Zanzibar
  • Day 19: Take an ATR flight back to Dares, and flight back to Karachi

Here’s how much this itinerary costed me..

Yellow Fever Certificate: $10

• Get it from Jinnah hospital for approx. 10$

Visa: $154

• Kenya: $54 (evisa)
  • Uganda: $50 (on-arrival at the overland border)
  • Tanzania: $50 (on-arrival)

Transport (Flights/Buses/Ferries):  $1185

• Karachi-Dubai flight: $140 (Fly Dubai)
  • Dubai-Nairobi, Kenya flight: $190 (Rwand Air)
  • Taxi from Nairobi Airport to Hotel: $20
  • Nairobi, Kenya-Kampala, Uganda: $23 (Modern Coast Bus)
  • Taxi from bus stand to Hostel: $10
  • Kampala to Lake Bunyonyi: $23 (taxi + bus, round trip)
  • Kampala-Entebbe*, Uganda: $20 (Uber)
    • *Had to take 1 hour journey to Entebbe because Kampala city doesn’t have an airport)
  • Entebbe-Dares, Tanzania flight: $172 (Fast Jet)
  • Taxi from Dares Aiport to Hotel: $10
  • Dares-Zanzibar, Tanzania ferry: $50 (VIP class)
  • Taxi from ferry station to Hotel: $15
  • Taxi from hotel to Zanzibar Airport: $15
  • Zanzibar-Daressalam flight: $80(Coastal Airlines)
  • Dares-Karachi flight: $417 (Emirates)

Stay: $565

Tours: $667

In Kenya
Masai Mara Safari: $300 (Safari, Stay, Food Transport included for 3 Days 2 Nights)
KICC helipad (2nd Tallest building & Geometric centre of Nairboi): $6
Giraffe Centre: $10
Masai Village visit(tip to elders): $10
In Uganda
Bungee Jumping: $185 (3 Jumps)
Qaddafi Mosque (going at the top, view point): $4
Canoe Trip Around Lake Bunyonyi Islands: $6
In Tanzania
Safari Blue Tour (Zanzibar): $70
Turtle Island tour + Stone Town stopover + Forodhani Gardens transport: $40

Food: $295

• In Nairobi for 3 days (plus airport) food, drinks, coffee: $81
  • In Masai Mara Safari for 3 days: $0 since it was all covered in cost of safari
  • In Uganda for 5 days (plus airport) food, drinks, coffee: $84
  • In Tanzania for 8 days: $130

Taxis/Ubers/Buses: $53

• In Nairobi for 3 days: $27
  • In Uganda for 5 days: $16
  • In Tanzania : $10

Misc: $84

• In Nairobi: $24 (phone connection, souvenirs, tips etc)
  • In Uganda:$20
  • In Tanzania: $40

Total for 3 weeks it costed me: Approx. $3013

Did it help you? Do you have more questions? Please let me know in the comments below.

Hakuna Matata!

• 197
    Shares
2018-05-09T21:10:19+00:00

22 Comments

1. Faizan September 5, 2017 at 9:53 am - Reply

Thank you, It really helped. I was thinking to visit TZ for a long time..

• gwgp September 8, 2017 at 1:09 pm - Reply

My pleasure. 🙂

2. Michelle September 6, 2017 at 1:51 am - Reply

I really like how you broke down the costs! Its been on my mind to climb Kilimanjaro and do a Safari in Tanzania! Thanks for sharing =)

• gwgp September 8, 2017 at 1:08 pm - Reply

I’m really glad it helped you. I have not done Kilimanjaro, but saw so many people going for it in Tanzania. Really worth it!

3. Mehsum September 24, 2017 at 4:16 pm - Reply

Hi,

I have been following your blog and I guess your write ups are perfect. Was inspired by your post to plan a trip for myself too. I had a two queries though, how did you board from Karachi without a return ticket i’m guessing? Like you used multiple airlines and stuff, did you have your whole travel plan pre booked before departure?
    Secondly, if I am to go to Kenya first, can I get the Tanzania e-visa easily without the invitation letter?

• gwgp October 4, 2017 at 12:29 am - Reply

Thank you so much Mehsum. So 1. I travelled with a return ticket. I had the entire trip booked. all flights purchased. 2. Yes, you will get the visa on arrival. They will ask for the letter, you have to tell them the visa for Pakistan is on arrival, hence you came. The reason why I say travel to either Kenya first, or stay a day in Dubai, because the immigration at Pakistani airport will not let you thru if you tell them you are travelling to Tanzania. Also, if you know someone in Tanzania, I would recommend to get the letter.

4. Rijwanov October 4, 2017 at 2:20 pm - Reply

A Great Step, Inspirational, Salute you.
    I want to go to Mali, please help me how to get visa? and what about expected costs(total itinerary)?

5. Shabbir Ali October 5, 2017 at 12:23 pm - Reply

Beautifully written. Amazing first hand information. Keep it up!

• gwgp October 21, 2017 at 4:38 pm - Reply

thanks!

6. Zaman Sagar October 5, 2017 at 4:11 pm - Reply

Thanks for posting this useful info on your blog It will help us to plan trip to these African states. I am planning to visit, Senegal, Morocco and Mauritania in November.

7. Akiru December 1, 2017 at 12:34 pm - Reply

Hi, This is really amazing information for a backpacker. I’m a female and traveling alone. Could you provide more information about how to get from Kampala to Lake Bunyonyi? Is there a safe and trusted bus company or contact I can use? Thanks!

• gwgp December 8, 2017 at 4:43 pm - Reply

Kampala to Bunyonyi journey comprises of three legs. First a bus (from kamapala to kabale, this is the town where lake bunyonyi is. you can ask your hostel desk, they will guide you to bus stand in kampala. I visited one and bought a Jaguar executive coach ticket a day before.), then a taxi (i got a taxi from the stop bus dropped me at) and then a boat to your resort (you will have to inform your resort of your approximate arrival at the bank of the lake.

8. shah-tours December 28, 2017 at 1:08 pm - Reply

Thank you so much for this useful information.

9. Faryal January 7, 2018 at 2:33 am - Reply

Hi, I’ve been wanting to plan a trip to Kenya and wanted details about the Masai Mara and if you took a tour or not. Is it possible to email you?
    Thanks

• gwgp January 8, 2018 at 6:19 pm - Reply

Hi Faryal! The best way to talk to me is via dropping message on my Facebook page: Girl With Green Passport.

10. Sohail January 26, 2018 at 1:33 pm - Reply

Hello It is great information you posted, Can you please let me know a bit about Visa on arrival and evisa for Kenya , tanzania and if you any information about ghana with green passport ?

11. Ali February 23, 2018 at 8:48 pm - Reply

it depends how you manage your cost 3000USD is too much same trip can be done in quite reasonable price i guess ….just need to do more research before travel

• gwgp March 27, 2018 at 1:13 pm - Reply

offcourse. You can do that. Cut the safari out, stay in cheaper places in Zanzibar, eat cheap food only you will be able to save cost.

12. Talha July 6, 2018 at 4:15 pm - Reply

Do we need to have a yellow fever certificate to travel to Kenya? I have already got the visa and I fly in two weeks. Please confirm

13. Zahid August 8, 2018 at 3:55 pm - Reply

Hi,

just wondering you breakdown for your flights, how you an get one way tickets Like Karachi to Dubai and then next flight ?

14. Mary zapchenk August 19, 2018 at 12:06 am - Reply

I love this break down. I always do something similar on my trips!

15. Naomi Jung November 6, 2018 at 4:50 am - Reply

Hi Anam! Thank you so much for posting this, it’s super helpful! I was curious how you felt about safety during your trip in East Africa? I am really interested in traveling there, but am a little worried about crime/terrorism, but at the same time I don’t want my fear of those things to stop me from traveling there! I was wondering if you had thoughts on this? Thanks so much!